NHR4CES as a part of NHR
and RWTH Aachen University
NHR4CES in NHR
NHR4CES (National High Performance Computing Center for Computational Engineering Science) is part of the association for National High Performance Computing (NHR). NHR aims to provide scientists at German universities with the computing capacity they need for their research, and strengthen their skills for the efficient use of this resource.
In almost every scientific field, the use of high performance computing is now indispensable. With the association for NHR, high performance computing at universities in Germany, which has so far been organized at the state level, is being restructured in the scientific community. The association for NHR consists of several NHR centers that operate the high-performance computers.
For this, the Strategy Committee was established as an independent body. It makes recommendations, including the inclusion of computing centers in the funding, the medium-term planning of structures, procedures and financing of national high-performance computing, and the annual economic planning of the NHR centers.
The NHR office provides administrative support to the Strategy Committee as well as to the NHR Association with all its committees.
NHR also offers a coordinated consulting service on the methodological competence of scientific high performance computing. The aim is to provide scientists at German universities with the computing capacity they need for their research to strengthen their skills in using this resource efficiently.
In NHR4CES, RWTH Aachen University and TU Darmstadt join forces to combine their strengths in HPC applications, algorithms and methods, and the efficient use of HPC hardware. Our goal is to create an ecosystem combining best practices of HPC and research data management to address questions that are of central importance for technical developments in economy and society. We support the development of scalable algorithms and software for the investigation, development, design, construction, evaluation, and production of engineering applications with a particular focus on engineering and materials science as well as engineering-oriented physics, chemistry and medicine.
Image movie NHR
Besides NHR4CES at TU Darmstadt and RWTH Aachen University, the following NHR centers are also part of the association for NHR:
- NHR@FAU – Regionales Rechenzentrum Erlangen – Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg
- NHR@Göttingen – Gesellschaft für wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung mbH Göttingen (GWDG)
- NHR@KIT – Steinbuch Centre for Computing (SCC) – Karlsruher Institut für Technologie
- NHR@TUD – Zentrum für Informationsdienste und Hochleistungsrechnen – Technische Universität Dresden
- NHR@ZIB – Zuse-Institut Berlin – Berlin University Alliance
- PC2 – Paderborn Center for Parallel Computing – Universität Paderborn
- NHR Süd-West – Goethe-Universität Frankfurt, Technische Universität Kaiserslautern, Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz, Universität des Saarlandes
In August 2021, the NHR centers formed the National High Performance Computing Association, NHR Association.