Scientists from national facilities can apply for various computing time contingents.
– maximum duration of six months
– for e.g. porting applications or scalability analysis
– continuous application possible
Guidelines for new proposals
To apply for computing time on the NHR4CES systems, please proceed as follows:
- First write a detailed project description and please use the sample project application (pdf, word, LaTeX).
Please use this shorter version for the application for PREP-projects (pdf, word, LaTeX).
The usage of the templates is mandatory. Applications that do not use the required templates for the project description might be rejected. The project description must not exceed 10 pages (font 11pt). The project description will be uploaded to the web server as part of the electronic questionnaire in pdf (please do not include any other information in this file). Completeness and verifiability of these specifications will be considered during the assessment process. Missing information will lead to a reduction of granted computing time and possibly to the rejection of the proposal.
If you wish to add supplementary information to your project description (e.g. articles that are not yet published), please compile it in another pdf file and upload it as part of the supplementary material.
- Complete the electronic questionnaire and attach the project description as well as any additional documents to the questionnaire as pdf files.
Please note that (besides the technical information regarding the planned simulations) all computing time applications that have been submitted to German computing centers within the last 3 years have to be listed in the electronic questionnaire, regardless of whether their content is similar to the current proposal or not.
- With the finalization of your project application a form is created. If you apply for computing time on CLAIX, please print this form, sign it and send it to the office in Aachen by email. If you apply for computing time on Lichtenberg, please print the application form and, if applicable, the PI agreement, sign it and send it to the TU Darmstadt Computing Center for the Allocation of Computing Time by post (Technische Universität Darmstadt, Hochschulrechenzentrum, HPC Gruppe, Karolinenplatz 5, 64289 Darmstadt). You can additionally send a digital copy of the signed form to email@example.com in order to expedite the process.
- Please note: Normal NHR projects will get an initial quota after the technical review. This quota will be increased once the proposal has received two positive scientific reviews. The final granting decision will be made in conjunction with the decisions about NHR Large projects by a NHR4CES panel (meets quarterly). Thus, a belated decrease of resources is possible.
Guidelines for final reports
Once a project is completed, the applicant is obliged to submit a final report which is due four weeks after the end of the allocation period. Please use the sample documents (pdf, word, LaTeX). The final report must not exceed 2 pages (font 11pt). Information on how to admit the final report will be available here shortly.
Fact sheet on applications on computing time
At a glance: You can find more information on applying for computing time here.
Papers, presentations, and other publications containing results obtained on the supercomputers that are part of the NHR4CES systems must include proper acknowledgements. The wording of the acknowledgement depends on the system used within the NHR4CES. Please choose the text appropriate from the list below.
NHR4CES projects on Lichtenberg II
The authors gratefully acknowledge the computing time granted by the NHR4CES Resource Allocation Board and provided on the supercomputer Lichtenberg II at TU Darmstadt as part of the NHR4CES infrastructure. The calculations for this research were conducted with computing resources under the project <ID of your project>.
NHR4CES projects on CLAIX
The authors gratefully acknowledge the computing time granted by the NHR4CES Resource Allocation Board and provided on the supercomputer CLAIX at RWTH Aachen University as part of the NHR4CES infrastructure. The calculations for this research were conducted with computing resources under the project <ID of your project>.
The principal investigator of the project also confirms that he/she accepts the reporting obligations for NHR4CES projects as given on the NHR4CES webpage. This includes a final report for a completed project which is due four weeks after the end of the allocation period and a status report for applications for project extensions. Furthermore, the principal investigator of the project is obligated to provide contributions and information for the annual reports of the IT Center of the RWTH Aachen upon request.
NHR4CES Resource Allocation Board (RAB)
Independent national and international experts assess each proposal for computing time. According to regulations of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) the NHR4CES Resource Allocation Board (RAB) determines detailed scientific and technical criteria for the assessment of proposals for computing time.
The RAB is composed of experienced scientists and experts on operating supercomputers from both facilities from RWTH Aachen and TU Darmstadt each:
RWTH Aachen University:
Prof. Dr. Heinz Pitsch (chairman, Institute for Combustion Technology)
Prof. Dr. Karsten Albe (co-chairman, Materials Modeling)
The RAB is also being supported by experts on operating supercomputers from both facilities.